I just finished reading Rules, by Cynthia Lord. In short, it is a book about a 12-year-old girl, Catherine, who has an autistic brother, David -- a definite must-read for any parent of a child with disabilities, especially if that child has siblings.
The thing that made me laugh, however, was this. In the book, a secondary theme is about how David often quotes from the Frog and Toad series, by Arnold Lobel. As the story puts it, "If you need to borrow words, Arnold Lobel wrote some good ones." And the book even ends with a Frog and Toad interchange.
So I had to smile when, on finishing the book, I stood up to turn off the light, and I passed the book my mildly autistic son had been reading -- Frog and Toad Together, by Arnold Lobel.
And that says it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's very funny! Ethan and Jonah have been recommended for Child Find- Speech therapy and that one little instance has already rocked my world. Will they not be ready for kindergarten? Are they Special Ed? I get anxiety prone! I will look to your example as I apply to get them evaluated and do whatever they tell me to do to help them be happy!
Post a Comment