I think we need a new tooth fairy.
From the time our kids started losing teeth it seems she just keeps letting the poor tykes down! Admittedly, there have been a few times when the kids have put a tooth under the pillow, and then woken up in the morning to actually find money there, but more often than not, they come down the stairs in the morning with a disappointed look, and I immediately realize with a panic that she must not have come...
I'm not sure whether or not to complain to her supervisors, though. First of all, she DOES come eventually -- usually before the kids have even eaten breakfast. And there have been a few times that she HAS been considerate enough to leave notes explaining her tardiness. (Ever seen a tooth fairy note? They're written on a tiny piece of paper with the tiniest little handwriting I've ever seen. The kids tell me that this proves, of course, that she's real...) And of course, I'm assuming that most nights she's just exhausted and falls asleep before she feels like it's safe to go in their room. So I almost feel sorry for her...
But I feel so guilty every time I have to come up with excuses to tell my poor kids. This past week, when my oldest actually lost TWO molars, she still spaced it. The next morning he wrote her a note, asking her to please come earlier next time so that the money is there when he wakes up. Ouch!
The best I could come up with was that she was probably just confused because he had actually lost the first tooth on Tuesday, and the second tooth wasn't lost until Thursday night, but the teeth didn't go under the pillow until Thursday. I tried to cover by saying that she probably came Tuesday -- and Wednesday -- and couldn't find a tooth, so then she didn't know what to do when Thursday came around.
Has anyone else had problems getting YOUR tooth fairy to perform? All the kids want is for there to be money there when they wake up! Is that so hard? Any ideas on how to help a non-functional tooth fairy start performing better? Or is there a tooth fairy agency where I can go to hire a new one? AAARGH! Or do I just keep making excuses for the poor gal?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It's simple...just make sure there's ALWAYS money under their pillows. They only look when they have left a tooth there, right? Unless you're one of those moms whose kids actually make their own beds :)
While you're at it, you can come leave some money under my pillow too. I won't even mind if you're late.
(oh, and really cute idea with the tiny note!)
Toooo funny!! Miranda lost her first tooth last week and our tooth fairy didn't make it here until the second night ;)
I have found that contacting your nearest IRS agency regarding incompetent tooth fairies is helpful only on Apr 1st. We love your blog and stories.
Hey Carolyn! It's me, Michelle Stevens, long time no hear!
No idea.. Our tooth fairy is equally as unreliable at coming on time. On one such occassion, Emma came running down the stairs (after school because she had forgotten to look in the morning) screaming and crying and yelling at Madeline for taking her money. I had to quickly explain that maybe the tooth fairy hadn't come, or we should just go and search for the money. While she was having her snack I quickly went upstairs and found the bag with the tooth (which Madeline had removed from under the pillow). I ran downstairs with some money and told her she needed to apologize to her sister for yelling at her. Glad to know we aren't the only ones.
We had to trick the tooth fairy a couple of weeks ago. My son lost his first tooth in a granola bar and swallowed it. OUCH. He decided to draw a tooth, color it, cut it out, put it in a baggie, and put it under his pillow. It WORKED!! Of course, now he's telling everyone that his new baby cousin is going to get a paper tooth.
Julene
Our tooth fairy team in cambridge is not the well oiled machine one expects of paranormal creatures. But I think they are feeling better about themselves now that they realize they aren't the only units with some operational glitches. Maybe they ought to do some "best practice" sharing on a corporate retreat........
Post a Comment