Sunday, February 24, 2008

Confessions of a Bad (or Batter) Mom

So the last couple of weeks here have made for a February to remember. It started on the 12th when my daughter got the fever to match all fevers. As I dabbed her forehead and held her aching, sweaty body, and touched her flushed cheeks, I honestly wished that I could be sick instead of her. She was just so miserable.

And then I got it. And my husband got it. And two of my other three kids got it. (Actually I am amazed that my one son NEVER got it, the whole time all of us were sick. I actually wonder if all the nose-picking and non-hand-washing has somehow benefited his immune system. Is that possible?) Anyway, for the next few days (including Valentines Day) we were all suffering from what I guess was the flu. I'm still coughing and I think I injured my rib cage from coughing so hard! LAME!

Anyway, confession #1 is that I never took any of them to the doctor. I actually never even considered taking them to the doctor because I was fairly certain it was not bacterial. I'm not sure at what point I would have taken them to the doctor. Maybe I have had too many experiences going to the doctor where they take a look and say. Sorry. It's viral. Go home and give them lots of fluids. Oh, and thanks for the $20 copay -- from each kid.

I was realizing that it has been AGES since I have taken my kids to the doctor when they were sick. Because it's almost always a cold, or a stomach thing that I know is going around (and can usually tell you where they got it from.) Anyway, I'm horrible.

Also, I have made three cakes in the past two weeks. I don't even really like cake. But related to it is my second confession.

Confession #2: I sometimes eat cookie dough and cake batter, even though it has raw eggs in it, and even though I am totally insistent that my kids don't touch the stuff. So I guess I am some kind of hypocrite. I sit there telling them that they shouldn't eat this stuff 'cause it has raw eggs, and then I wait until they're out of the kitchen and scrape the bowl myself. Horrible, eh? The thing is, I have never gotten sick from it. And I know I'm gambling every time I do it, but it tastes so good, I just can't resist! Aaah. Guilt.

1 comment:

tami said...

From one dough-eater to another--this is funny...and yet another example of why we tell our kids to do what we say and not what we do :) I'm fairly confident that this is your only weakness in that area!