Yesterday it was about 30 degrees here, with wind gusts of up to 30 mph. To put it bluntly, it was cold. As I was walking my freezing kids to school I started telling them about how cold it was when we lived in Ithaca. I talked about how my eyeballs would get cold. I described how the school had a rule that, in addition to coats, all the kids had to bring snow pants, hats, and gloves every day because it was so cold, and because they went outside for recess even when it was cold. "There was even one year when we had so much snow that I didn't see our grass from November until March."
My oldest then told how he remembered one day when there was an "ice mountain taller than mom" through which they dug a tunnel with the help of their preschool teachers. They also went "sledding" down it (just on their snow pants.)
Skip to this morning.
It was even colder outside. Not as much wind, but colder. I decided to be a little more attentive in bundling at least the younger kids. My 4-yr-old, donning her own snow pants, hat, gloves, scarf, and knee-length coat, asked my 6-yr-old if he wanted to wear some snow pants.
He was emphatic in his response:
"No! I do not want snow pants! We are NOT in Ithaca! And did you know that Ithaca means WINTER in Spanish?"
(Did I mention that he likes to make up words in gibberish and "pretend" it is French or Spanish)
I think I laughed for about 5 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would kill for some 30 degree weather here. I'm having serious Ithaca flash-backs. Yesterday, school was cancelled because it was cold enough to cause frostbite in 15 minutes. Yikes!
It was 50 in Ithaca today....
Post a Comment