This is another post that I started more than two years ago. The theme is just as pertinent though. Funny how some things change and some things never do.
I love music. I love to listen to it. I love to sing it, play it, and feel the harmonies and counter-melodies rising and falling, magically transforming simple sounds into a complex and wonderful expression of emotion.
Similarly, I love it when I see my children experience that same joy. I love to see their eyes and whole faces light up when they hear their favorite songs. I love it when they can't even keep themselves from dancing because the music makes them so happy. I love it when they sing at the top of their voices. But I also have to work really hard to keep from laughing at them.
When I started this post, two years ago, it was right after the primary program that year, when my older daughter
enthusiastically sang her guts out for every song, easily doubling the
volume of the rest of the primary. At first I was a little embarrassed,
but then I started thinking about how much I love music myself. And I understood.
A year ago, we had a similar experience, this time with a son whose favorite song in the world was "Praise to the Man" because, really, what other church song has the word "DEATH" so prominent in it? So again, our family was a major volume factor in the primary program.
Today was another primary program. And the saga continued, but with a
different daughter. She, too, sang her guts out, but she upped the ante
by dancing and twirling in her spot while she sang. It was not limited to one song, but was instead a full dose of energy and enthusiasm gushing from her whole soul for the full length of the program.
I must confess, however, that a part of me really wanted to stand up and join her. Just like in the previous programs, there was a music-loving part of me that was just as excited to sing and hear those songs as my kids were. There is a part of me that will always and forever love music and love everything that comes with it, especially when it is combined with the privilege of watching my children love it that way too!
Thank goodness for music. Thank goodness for those who write it. Thank goodness for the patient music leaders who listen to my children project it. And thank goodness that I get to be there to hear it.
1 comment:
I have always felt the Spirit most often through music, in part I believe, because it presents multiple testimonies from the people who write the music, those who arrange it, those who write the words and even others who translate the words into other languages.
Post a Comment